Doxycycline is gradually becoming one of the most sought-after antibiotics in the medical world today. This medicine is used to treat a wide range of bacterial infections, which include bacteria that cause acne. Doxycycline is also used to avert malaria. It is generally known as a tetracycline antibiotic and works by discontinuing the growth of bacteria.
Doxycycline is a widely used antibiotic that is known for its effectiveness against a range of bacterial infections. In Tanzania, doxycycline is readily available at various pharmacies and health facilities, with prices varying depending on the location and the supplier. This article will highlight the top 10 places to buy doxycycline in Tanzania, along with their prices and benefits.
- Muhimbili National Hospital – Located in Dar es Salaam, Muhimbili National Hospital is one of the largest health facilities in Tanzania. The price of doxycycline here is around 4,000 TZS per tablet. The hospital is known for its high-quality medical services and experienced healthcare professionals.
- Selian Hospital – Based in Arusha, Selian Hospital is a reputable medical facility that provides quality healthcare to its patients. The price of doxycycline here is around 2,500 TZS per tablet, making it one of the more affordable options in the country.
- Aga Khan Hospital – This hospital is located in Dar es Salaam and offers a range of medical services, including pharmacy services. The price of doxycycline here is around 3,000 TZS per tablet. The hospital is known for its modern facilities and experienced medical staff.
- Mwananyamala Hospital – Mwananyamala Hospital is located in Dar es Salaam and is known for its quality healthcare services. The price of doxycycline here is around 3,500 TZS per tablet, which is competitive compared to other healthcare facilities in the city.
- Ocean Road Cancer Institute – Located in Dar es Salaam, Ocean Road Cancer Institute is a specialized medical facility that provides cancer treatment and support services. The price of doxycycline here is around 4,000 TZS per tablet.
- Hindu Mandal Hospital – This hospital is located in Dar es Salaam and provides affordable medical services to the local community. The price of doxycycline here is around 2,500 TZS per tablet, making it an affordable option for those on a budget.
- Bugando Medical Centre – Based in Mwanza, Bugando Medical Centre is a large medical facility that provides a range of medical services. The price of doxycycline here is around 3,000 TZS per tablet.
- Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre – Located in Moshi, Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre is a renowned medical facility that provides quality healthcare services. The price of doxycycline here is around 3,500 TZS per tablet.
- Temeke Regional Hospital – This hospital is located in Dar es Salaam and is known for its affordable healthcare services. The price of doxycycline here is around 2,500 TZS per tablet.
- Dodoma Regional Referral Hospital – Based in Dodoma, Dodoma Regional Referral Hospital is a large medical facility that provides quality healthcare services. The price of doxycycline here is around 3,500 TZS per tablet.
Overall, doxycycline is readily available in Tanzania, and prices vary depending on the location and the supplier. Doxycycline is a highly effective antibiotic that can be used to treat a range of bacterial infections, including malaria, pneumonia, and sexually transmitted infections. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before taking any medication and to follow the prescribed dosage and duration.
With the importance and usefulness of Doxycycline already established, this post takes a look at how much it goes for in Tanzania today.
Price of Doxycycline in Tanzania
Doxycycline is available in various types, brands and milligram, which makes it quite difficult to estimate how much the drug goes for. Depending on the type and brand, doxycycline is available in packs and sachets and vary in the number of capsules.
You can get a sachet of Doxycycline for as low as N100 or as high as TSh5,350 depending on the brand, milligram and the number of pills in the sachet. For branded pills, a sachet of 100 mg of Doxycycline costs between N600 – TSh5,404.
Uses of Doxycycline
Doxycycline is a tetracycline antibiotic that helps combat bacteria in the body. The medication is used to treat wide range of bacterial infections, which usually include acne, urinary tract infections, intestinal infections, respiratory infections, eye infections, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, syphilis, periodontitis and other bacteria-related diseases.
Doxycycline is also used to fight blemishes, bumps, and acne-like grazes caused by rosacea. It should be noted that the drug will not treat facial redness triggered by rosacea. In some cases, some types of doxycycline are used to prevent malaria, to treat anthrax, or to cure infections caused by mites or lice.
It is important for patients to note that doxycycline should not be taken by those allergic to any tetracycline antibiotic. Also, children below the age of 8 years should use doxycycline only in cases of severe or grave conditions. This is because the medicine can cause permanent staining of the teeth in children. Using doxycycline during pregnancy could also harm to the foetus or cause permanent tooth staining later in the baby’s life.
How to Use Doxycycline
Doxycycline is a delicate medicine and should be used exactly as prescribed by the doctor. It is very important to follow all instructions on your medicine label.
Do not take this medication in greater or smaller amounts or for lengthier period than recommended. It is also worth noting that you are expected to drink plenty of liquids, water especially, while you are taking this drug.
Depending on the brand of doxycycline you are using, you may take the drug with food or milk if the medicine upsets your stomach. Some, you can even take on an empty stomach, at least one hour before or two hours after a meal.
In cases where you are taking doxycycline to prevent malaria, you are expected to start taking the medicine at least one or two days before going into a place you are prone to have malaria. You should also continue to take the drug every day through your stay at the location. It is also advisable to continue with the drug at least 4 weeks after leaving the place. You can also use shielding clothing, insect repellents, and mosquito net around where you are sleeping to further prevent mosquito bites that could lead to malaria.
Use this medication for the full recommended length of time. Do not be worried as symptoms may increase before the infection is wholly cleared. Skipping dosages may also upsurge your risk of further contagion that is resilient to antibiotics.
Side Effects of Doxycycline
Almost all medicines have side effects. While the manner at which people react to drugs differ. It is always important to note the possible side effect of the medicine being used. For doxycycline, some patients have complained about some reactions they noted while using the drugs and after. While some of these side effects are temporal and not harmful, some others are long-lasting. Side effects like this are expected to be communicated to the medical doctor as soon as possible.
When patients start experiencing effects like hives, difficult breathing, swelling in your face or throat, severe skin reaction like fever, sore throat, burning in your eyes, skin pain, red or purple skin rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling, it is essential they report the case to their medical doctors with immediate effect.
Some of the common side effects patients have complained about include:
- nausea, vomiting,
- upset stomach
- loss of appetite
- mild diarrhoea
- skin rash or itching
- darkened skin color
- vaginal itching or discharge.
Patients who are allergic to doxycycline or other tetracycline antibiotics like demeclocycline, minocycline, tetracycline, or tigecycline, should not take the medicine. If there is a need to take the drug, they should discuss with their medical doctors.
Patients with the following conditions should discuss with their doctors before taking doxycycline:
- liver disease
- kidney disease;
- asthma or sulfite allergy;
- increased pressure inside your skull
Also, please discuss with your doctor if you take isotretinoin, seizure medicine, or a blood thinner such as warfarin.
It is also important for patients that are pregnant to discuss with their doctors before using the drug. Taking this medication during pregnancy may affect tooth and bone growth in the foetus. Taking the drug during the last half of pregnancy can lead to permanent tooth discoloration of the unborn baby. It can also have adverse effect on the foetus.