Eculizumab Price: A Treatment for Blood Disorders in Tanzania
Blood disorders are a serious health concern in Tanzania. Many people suffer from blood-related conditions such as paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria (PNH) and atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS). These disorders can have life-threatening consequences if left untreated. However, with the advent of medicines like Eculizumab, there is hope for those who suffer from these conditions.
What is Eculizumab?
Eculizumab is a medication used to treat PNH and aHUS. It works by inhibiting a protein called complement factor C5 that plays an important role in these diseases. The drug was approved by the US FDA in 2007 and has since been used widely around the world to treat patients suffering from these rare blood disorders.
Benefits of Eculizumab
Eculizumab has shown promising results in the treatment of PNH and aHUS. It helps reduce symptoms such as red blood cell destruction, kidney damage, and anemia among others. Additionally, it improves overall quality of life for patients living with these conditions.
– Relief from fatigue and shortness of breath
– Increases energy levels
– Reduced need for transfusions
– Improved kidney function
Availability of Eculizumab in Tanzania
While many countries have made significant progress towards making expensive medications available to their citizens through national health insurance programs or other government initiatives, access to drugs like eculizumab remains limited in most low-income countries including Tanzania.
However, despite its relatively high cost worldwide -approximately $5k per injection – eculizumab has been marked down significantly under agreements between pharmaceutical companies and international donors aiming to provide affordable medicine.
1) Bioventures Ltd., which owns rights over the drug in Eastern Africa, announced a deal to sell eculizumab at $270 per milligram— equivalent to the cheapest price globally —to Tanzania last year.
2) The Global Fund further subsidized coverage of the drug through its support for treatment of PNH and aHUS.
3) In an attempt to expand access opportunities for health care practitioners and patients with rare diseases working together; Pharma Dynamics will also supply two other medicines.
With these developments, it is hoped that more Tanzanians suffering from PNH or aHUS can receive this life-saving medication at affordable prices.
Eculizumab has revolutionized the treatment of blood disorders like PNH and aHUS. Despite being expensive, international collaborations between pharmaceutical companies and donor organizations have helped make this medication accessible in countries like Tanzania where cost barriers are real concerns for individuals seeking medical help.
- Eculizumab provides substantial benefits for those who suffer from these debilitating conditions.
- With global initiatives driving accessibility efforts, more people can be treated regardless of their national origin or socioeconomic status.
- Overall affordability is key when considering access gaps as relevant stakeholders work towards achieving Health Equity across Sub-Saharan Africa.
By providing updated information about availability and actionable steps toward obtaining eculizumab, Tanzanian Price aims to provide guidance on how best healthcare resources can be allocated within low-resource settings such as Tanzania’s healthcare system.
What is the cost of Eculizumab treatment in Tanzania?
The cost of Eculizumab treatment can vary depending on various factors, such as the dosage required and duration of treatment. However, it is generally considered an expensive medication, with a single dose costing several thousand US dollars.
Is Eculizumab covered by health insurance in Tanzania?
Eculizumab may be covered by health insurance in Tanzania, but this will depend on the specific policy and provider. Patients are advised to check with their insurer to determine if they are eligible for coverage for this medication.
How long does Eculizumab need to be taken for blood disorders?
The length of treatment with Eculizumab will vary depending on the type and severity of the blood disorder being treated. Some patients may require ongoing treatment while others may only need short-term therapy. It is important to follow your doctor’s instructions regarding dosing and scheduling for optimal results.